- 2019 Summer Program "Volcanoes" - 17th of June - 12th of July, 2019, U.C. Berkeley (CA)
- 2018 Summer Program "Relating geochemical and geophysical heterogeneity in the Earth" - July 9th - August 3rd, 2018, U.C. Santa Barbara (CA)
- 2017 Summer Program "Subduction zone structure and dynamics" - June 26- July 21, 2017, U.C. Berkeley (CA)
- 2016 Summer Program "Flow in the deep Earth" - June 27- Aug 5, 2016, KITP, UC Santa Barbara (CA)
- 2015 Summer Program "Solid Earth Dynamics and Climate --- Mantle Interactions with the Hydrosphere & Carbosphere, U. C. Berkeley (CA)
- 2014 Summer Program "Dynamics of planetary interiors" June 22 - Aug 2, 2014, KITP, UC Santa Barbara (CA)
- 2013 Summer Program "From mantle to crust: continental formation and destruction" July 1 - August 2, 2013, University of California, Berkeley (CA)
- 2012 Summer Program "Deep Time: How did early Earth become our modern world?" July 1 - August 10, 2012, KITP, Santa Barbara (CA)
CIDER is currently supported by the National Science Foundation through CSEDI Program (EAR-1903727) and the GeoPRISMS Program (OCE-2025195). Prior support through the Frontiers of Earth Systems Dynamics (FESD) was under grant number EAR-1135452.
Please acknowledge the CIDER program and this grant in any publication resulting from or inspired by CIDER
Report a paper or abstract from a previous CIDER meeting
CIDER Educational Material
CIDER wikipedia-like pages
CIDER Highschool Teaching
CIDER announces the return of the CIDER Summer Programs. We focus on the evolution of physical and chemical conditions that allowed life to gain a foothold. We will also survey the remote signatures that would have identify the early Earth as an inhabited world. This broad program will deal with planetary formation and the subsequent evolution terrestrial planets. At each stage, we explore the interplay between the surface environment and the evolution of the interior. The organizers and confirmed lecturers can be found at https://deep-earth.org/summer22
The 4-week Summer Program includes lectures, tutorials, and group research projects for about 40 advanced graduate students and postdocs. We also welcome scientists at assistant professor/researcher level (and higher) to participate in any part of the program, with a minimum commitment of 2 weeks.
The summer program will be held on the campus of University of California, Berkeley. It is supported by the NSF/CSEDI program. Applications are invited for both senior and junior participate at https://www.deep-earth.org/summer22
Follow the link to the application page. A direct link to the application can be found at
Application deadline: Feb. 28, 2022
A second funded program on ‘Fluid and magma transport at plate boundaries’ has been delayed to the summer of 2023.
CIDER Working Groups
- Report on 2015 CIDER working group meeting on Dynamic Topography, held in Boulder CO, April 6-7, 2015
- Publications Inspired by or resulting from CIDER
- CIDER Bibliography, papers related to CIDER topics (not quite up to date).
- Documents past meeting slides and research topics
For more photos see individual Summer Program pages
For questions/suggestions please email us.