Join the Team
Open Positions at the Berkeley Seismology Lab
Network Engineer (7566U) - #16339
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: March 26, 2021
The UC Berkeley Seismological Laboratory operates a network of geophysical stations in northern California to collect data in real time, to support the delivery of earthquake information to state and federal stakeholders and the public, including earthquake early warning, and to provide data for research. In collaboration with the USGS Earthquake Management Project , the BSL jointly operates the northern California component of the USGS Advanced National Seismic System to provide public earthquake information, earthquake early warning, and long-term earthquake monitoring operations. In addition, the BSL collaborates for telemetry and data exchange with partner organizations ranging from federal and state agencies to public and private organizations. Robust, rapid, secure delivery of data are vital to these activities. This position provides end-to-end support of all data networking at the Berkeley Seismology Lab. This role develops, plans, implements, manages and troubleshoots network infrastructure for the BSL, and collaborates with outside partners on standards and interfaces for data transfer through and from partner networks.
- Leads the design, specification, installation, configuration, management, and troubleshooting of networking equipment for the continuous streaming of geophysical data from approximately 200 remote field stations to one or more centralized data centers. This includes equipment such as cellular modems, data radios, IP routers, VPN gateways, and Ethernet switches.
- Evaluates and tests new and enhanced networking hardware and services, including for security, reliability, robustness, throughput, and latency.
- Oversees, configures, manages, and troubleshoots data communciations interfaces (ex. Ethernet, T1, microwave) with outside partners.
- Provides expert advice to users / units on data transport and connectivity issues.
- Works with outside partner organizations and stakeholders to ensure compatibility and conformance with their standards for data pathways that connect with or cross their networks.
- Develops and implements monitoring and diagnostic tools and software on Linux servers.
- Explores and develops options for redundant telemetry between remote stations and data centers.
- Specifies, manages, oversees, and troubleshoots networking equipment and infrastructure within the data centers, including IP routers, VPN gateways, Ethernet switches, and some Linux-based services.
- Works directly with vendor / manufacturer technical support, such as Cisco and Palo Alto Networks, to isolate and resolve complex networking issues in both hardware and software.
- Configures and troubleshoots systems that support network services.
- Identifies and selects training opportunities for professional development.
- Participates in crossfunctional group discussions, activities and efforts.
- Coordinates all phases of multiple, complex networking projects: planning, design, procurement, implementation, and documentation of completed infrastructure, including maps and figures.
- Consults with other units and outside collaborators on planning, implementation and security for shared network segments and points of interconnectivity.
- Provide advice and guidance on network infrastructure and services.
- Troubleshoots end-to-end network connectivity, interacting with a diverse set of contacts, collaborators and service providers to resolve problems.
- Troubleshooting responsibilities include hardware, software and security of equipment in the field, in the data centers, as well as problems with service providers.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of networking concepts necessary to resolve issues using established parameters, creativity and independent judgment, escalating as necessary.
- Thorough understanding of various networking equipment (ex. Cisco/Palo Alto), network related protocols and software (ex. IP, IPSEC, OSPF, STP, 802.1Q) including understanding of OSI layer 3 and layer 2 at a complex level and related technical standards critical to the operation of LAN/WAN networks.
- In-depth experience with network diagnostic and performance management tools and software, including the Linux command line and SNMP.
- Thorough and broad knowledge and experience working with network management systems.
- Ability to gather, organize and analyze data in the completion of a variety of functional assignments.
- Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Self-motivated, can work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills in a diverse and dynamic environment.
Salary & Benefits
This is a monthly paid (exempt) position. Annual salary will be commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.UC Berkeley jobs page
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), 2-year contract with the possibility for renewal based on available funding.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct